Thursday 9 July 2009

Summer Has Started


With the summer blockbusters being rolled out in blockbuster fashion, I decided to finally write up my feelings on the films out of this summers shitsandwich of cinema that interested me enough to leave my cave and pay big dorrah to sit in a dark room full of people who have no interest in movies or maners.

How to make nerds cream or...

Transformers: Rise of the Fallen



I am a huge Transformers fan. It was one of my favourite cartoons as a kid, as it was for many people, and I also really enjoyed the first Transformers film. In fact, I thought the first one soo good, that it reignited my love for the franchise and I ended up doing this:



Even though Michael Bay's pressence was evident in the film I felt it could be easily over looked, the subtle racism, the poor attempts at humour and the total ineptitude for human emotion and interraction were minimal enough to be ignored, just because THERE ARE FUCKING HUGE ROBOTS HITTING EACH OTHER! Transformers 1 is by no means a flawless film, but is a thoroughly enjoyable action film which has FUCKING HUGE ROBOTS HITTING EACH OTHER.

So I went into Revenge of the Fallen with very high expectations. I could see how the first film could be improved; less human interraction, more FUCKING HUGE ROBOTS HITTING EACH OTHER, more characterisation implemented for the Autobots and Decepticons and maybe delving further into the canon of the Transformers franchise. Many of the aspects I hoped they would utilize they did. The Transformers are bigger, they hit each other harder, the mechanical characters are given more personality and characterisation and some of the familiar aspects of the cartoon series were successfully worked into the film. But there was one huge problem with Revenge of the Fallen - MICHAEL FUCKING BAY.


cunt

This man should not be allowed near human beings. He cannot direct people. Every attempt at humour that you cringed at in Transformers was magnified 10 fold and scattered throughout the whole film. All human interraction, especially the "romance" between the two leads was cliched and unconvincing. All I can say regarding the stars of this film is; thank zombie jesus for Megan Fox. It would have been almost impossible to watch a good 50% of that film if she hadn't been making it easy.



Michael Bay is unrelenting with his Bay-isms. There are moments in the film where any sort of logic or plot consistency is thrown out the window in favour of cheap humour, ogling Megan Fox or BIG BANG WOOSH SMASH KAPOOW BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!




It also turns out that to audition Megan Fox for Transformers he filmed her washing his Ferrari, what a fucking dick.

Revenge of the Fallen
is the first film times 10, warts and all. In that the good bits are 10 times better, but the bad bits are 10 times worse.

With all that being said, I spent most of the film with a large grin plastered across my face and left the cinema with much the same expression. The key to enjoying this film is to forgive it for it's unrelenting Bay-isms. As I love the franchise sooo much, I was able to switch off my cynical and critical film geek brain and enjoy HUGE FUCKING ROBOTS SMASHING THE SHIT OUT OF EACH OTHER, as Action is what Michael "shit eater" Bay does best.

The faults of this film could've been easily avoided if an hour of Shia LaBouff and his family were cut out. Just 90 minutes of classic Autobots vs. Decepticons would've been more than enough to hook in the entire target audience that this film was made for, which ultimately, is people like me.


The Hangover



Being a big fan of Road Trip I was looking forward to seeing The Hangover, it looked fresh and funny, and had Phil Collins in the trailer. What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, almost nothing could go wrong....

That's right, there is pretty much nothing that I can bitch about with this film. It has good characterisation, it has a very satisfying narrative form, in which very little of the huge party type events are shown but are discovered, and has hilarious performances all around. It is really Zach Galifianakis who shines through with great comedic timing and presentation. The scripts is superbly written and executed, and the cinematography is stunning throughout.

The only critizism I really have of the film is the sound track, which wildly varies in quality through the film. It opens with the fantastic cover of the Johnny Cash song Thirteen covered by Danzig, which works as the perfect sonic accompaniment for the desert scenes unfolding behind the the titles, but then stock chart filling rap and RnB dominates large portions of the film, which for the most part feel out of place and forced. I suspect that the studio behind the film, Warner Bros, holds most of the rights to the pop music used throughout the film, an often employed marketing technique.

Interestingly, while reading into Todd Phillips, the director of this film, it turns out he directed one of the most shocking but compelling Music Documentaries of all time Hated: G.G. Allin and the Murder Junkies. as his first film, so I guess he must know something about good music. I have provided the trailer for Hated below, just to give everyone an idea of how fucked up this docu is, but trust me it is brilliant.



I would highly recommend watching both Hated if you have an interested in Punk Rock, RocknRoll or even shock cinema. But I would recommend The Hangover to anyone that wants a good laugh that is well written and well made.


Back to my wing


Recently I have also been watching a lot of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Planet Earth. When it comes to Planet Earth there isn't much more than can be said about it, which hasn't already been said, but it is an enlightening TV series to say the least. However, when it comes to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a hell of a lot can be said. It is probably the best new sitcom to arrive in a very very long time, but I will let Joe elaborate on it, as he has watched way more of it than me.

Also, thank you for all the hits, we're closing in on 4000 now, which means we're getting about 500 hits a month, which makes as very happy in deed. I'm thinking maybe a properly organised party at 5000 hits, anyone else agree?

Soon to come from me are a load of music reviews, and also maybe some demos of a certain world famous rap group and perhaps even another mixtape!

CGM

0 comments: