Wednesday 11 March 2009

The Bronx / Fucked Up / Rolo Tomassi - Electric Ballroom


Having seen The Bronx relatively recently before this show was announced, I didn't buy tickets at the time. Usually, I would have snapped up tickets straight away, but I felt eating was more important. But two night before the show, thinking how much I'd love to see all three bands again I was offered a spare ticket! YES!



After arriving later than planned, I was pleased to only have to wait a few mins till Rolo Tomassi. RT are just getting better and better, they really are one of the UKs premier extreme/alternative bands at the moment. After airing a few new tracks, playing a large chunk of Hysterics and a quick fire guitarless Trencher cover their set comes to a noisy close. I am becoming more and more mesmerized by this band. Their sound is becoming more distinctly theirs with each new release, and each time I see them they get better and better, seeming more comfortable in their performing skin. This band can only go from strength to strength. I look forward to seeing them again.



The last time I saw Fucked Up was supporting Gallows at Astoria, where I got so drunk I almost hit the idiot bassist from shitty Anti-flag, lost both my shows, my phone and t-shirt, bleeding feet FTW! That was my first introduction to Fucked Up, which impressed me so much, I got to task getting hold of as much stuff as I could afford, which wasn't much, but all golden. The only problem with seeing Fucked Up in somewhere like The Electric Ballroom, is that its just a bit too big, but they still manage a big stage pressence, with the songs sounding even better live, with multiplied energy levels, and their lovely big fat singer Pink Eyes bridging the gap between stage and audience, by spending most of the gig in the pit, in the throngs of sweaty hardcore fans. Ill be honest, I missed a large section of the gig as I was buying beer and catching up with Alex Holy Roar, who runs a fantastic blog here. The band really do live up to their status as saviours of hardcore punk.



After more beer, The Bronx finally arrived. As with Fucked Up, The Bronx's style of Black Flag meets AC/DC hardcore really is best seen in a small venue, where the blood, sweat and beers can all swill together into a magical punk rock concoction. With this considered, The Bronx do really fucking well tonight, with their energy still translating very well. It was really great to hear material off of the latest records merged into old favourites with sheer ease. As I mentioned before, I feel that larger venues do loose some intimacy, and I did feel it was the case tonight. Overall, a very good performance, but I enjoyed their show at UCLA a lot more. One thing which is worth mentioning, The Bronx do seem to becoming a little less humble with their pressence, noticeable mostly through between song comments, and slightly less energetic performances than were witness in yester year, but maybe thats just age catching up.

Max

0 comments: